When lumbar or spinal motion is pushed to the extreme, such as in a car accident, these ligaments and muscles can be damaged. Muscle damage strain or muscle spasm can produce pain, soreness, loss of motion, and if severe enough joint instability. Irritation or injury of the structures of the spine may produce contraction and suffering of the muscles of the back and buttock areas.
Signs and Symptoms
- Back pain or tenderness.
- Swelling or bruising in the lower back.
- Pain when moving.
- A “popping” or “tearing” feeling in the lower back.
- Warmth or redness of the skin.
- Decreased ability to move.
Procedures that may help you recover from a muscle spasm include:
- Rest and ice.
- Bracing the affected area.
- Pain medication.
- Trigger point injections.
- PRP therapy.